Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mt Saint Anne World Cup

So I finally got the monkey off my back and qualified at Mt Saint Anne, 3rd time lucky aparently. After 2 years of bad luck in qualifying I put in a clean run and qualified 35th, I knew as long as i had a clean consistent run I would make it into the top 80 easily. I think this has been one of my problems in the past, putting too much pressure on myself for qualifying then blowing up, exactly what I did at my first world cup of the year in Andorra.
Mt Saint Anne has always been one of my favorite tracks and this year they kept it almost identical to last year apart from a couple of minor changes near the end which took out an up hill and made the track better.
The only real difference from last year was the fact that its been raining for the past 6 weeks so the track had some serious mud bogs in spots, I needed my moto to get through some of them! The UCI changed the schedule for this round as well so we raced on saturday instead of sunday like usual which also meant we only had two days of practice to get the course dialled. I only did a total of 6 practice runs over three days because the track was so similar to the other years I knew where i was going.

My run started good and I was feeling confident going through the first woods until I nearly blew off the track going into a flat pedally section so once I got going again I was trying to make up some time. I had a pretty solid split time considering my mistake but then going into the lower woods I tried changing a line at the last second and came to a complete stop in a rocky section where keeping speed was a major key.
Even with my mistakes I still managed to finish 34th which was a good result but definately not a top 20 where I wanted to be.

Im in Bromont now for the 2nd Canadian World Cup round being held this weekend then its a cross country drive to whistler to have some fun and do some Crank Worx events. Its kind of crazy that my season is almost over, only two world cup rounds to go then its back home for the summer.

No comments: