Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Canadian Open DH - see ya whistler!

Well after 10 solid days of riding in Whistler its all over for another year, were on the road back to San Diego where ill be for a few days getting my new bike set up for the world cup finals and world champs then its another cross country mission to New York.
I finished off my week with the Canadian Open DH race which was on a world cup caliber course and by far the best ive ridden in Whistler, Its wide open from top to bottom with an awesome tree section, a super cross style jump section and a section that had at least 100 people screaming!
I got the course pretty dialed in practice and was feeling real good about putting in a good race run and hopefully scoring a solid position.
Coming out of the gate I got a really good sprint which got me pumped up straight away and I rode the first few sections so much better than I had until I got down to where the huge amount of spectators were and managed to get way too excited and hit a steep rock roll in too fast and absolutely blow up at the bottom (hard enough to tear the top of my knee pad apart). Not ideal in front of where everyone was watching! I got going again and after getting myself sorted and back into the game I opened it up and rode the section in the trees way faster than I had in practice and after scrubbing my way through the super cross section managed to get a front flat about 45 seconds from the finish line even with running tubeless! I was pretty bummed and rolled my way down into the finish not particularly happy with my race.
But after checking the results I saw I still managed to pull 32nd so it was terrible, obviously not what I was hoping for but with all the mistakes it really got my confidence up knowing i'm riding well coming into the last few races which are all pretty big.

Ive got a couple of helmet cam videos but im not too technological so its taking a bit of time to work out how to post them up! hopefully one day soon though!

No comments: